Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cystic Fibrosis Update

I was just reminiscing and going through some of the older posts. I realized I never gave an update on the Cystic Fibrosis scare. After more tests it turned out Ava is just a carrier for CF. That meant that either Jeremy or I was a carrier, or both of us were carriers. If only one of us was a carrier there would be no chance of having a baby with CF, but there is a 25% chance they would be a carrier for CF. And if both Jeremy and I were carriers there is a 50% chance that we would have a baby with CF. Because we are still undecided if we want to have a 3rd baby, we both got tested. We wanted to make a smart decision. If we were both carriers, there would be no more babies in our future. We already have two beautiful and healthy girls, so that was okay with us. It turned out that I was a carrier, but Jeremy was not a carrier, so we are safe to have another baby if we choose to. We also got Sophie tested to see if she was a carrier, and she was. So when the girls get married, their husband will need to be tested to see if he is a carrier. If he's not, they are safe to have all the kids they want. If he is a carrier, they will need to decide if they want to risk having a baby with CF. Cystic Fibrosis is a horrible disease and it would be a very serious decision they would have to make. But, like I said before, knowledge is power. I am so thankful it turned out the way it did.

No comments: